How to catch a lost hamster…

Today this blog entry received a comment, asking for help:

“omg help i lost my hamster and I don’t know what to do please help me it’s been 2 days” .

Hamsters are escapologists. They make break-outs a profession. They are such curious little lovehearts and regard themselves as explorers as well. Don’t worry about your hamster. It will be back. Just leave the cage on the floor with some food in and his homely sleeping house and he will return regularly at night to fill up his cheeks. My hamster likes to dig himself into and behind the sofa and the heating when he is out on leave.

It might be best to first find out in which room (s)he is and then leave the cage on the floor with some food and I guarantee the hamster will be back at night when its calm.

The only difficulty will be for you to wake up when (s)he is in the cage.

Alternatively you could put sunflower seeds on the floor in each room and then the next day find out in which room they are gone. Sometimes it also smells horrible when the hamster goes to the toilet and wees, which can determine in which room it is.

Key to finding him is to keep the doors shut in your house so the hamster can not change rooms. It might be best if the hamster is in the bedroom, then you’ll wake up when its back in its cage and you could just close the doors and put the upper part of the cage back. Othwerwise it will most likely just fill up the cheeks and return to freedom and build another hoard somewhere in the room.

Sometimes it might also help if you sit on the floor and watch television in the evening for some hours, but pretty quietly not quite in the dark, but also not in too bright conditions and if you have some nice smelling food around on the floor, such as freshly cut carrots, cucumber, corn/maize, and similar, the hamster might leave the hiding place and come out to get it. Don’t rush to catch him/her, just watch where he/she is hiding and taking the food- it will have its hoard there and be a regular visitor to this favorite place. If your hamster isn’t tame you might not be able to catch him by hand – it is astonishing how they can squeeze themselves away and they rather jump down into unknown depths than consider giving up. Best is to leave a little box lying around where he can go into and examine- or his sleeping house, and you might just be able to pick him up in the box.
My hamster is now pretty tame so he runs around every evening during the news and when I watch telly. He even comes when I call him and I can pick him up by hand. If you feed him from your hand, it will get tame quite quickly and then it is easier to catch it after it escapes, in total Fluffy doesn’t escape at all anymore because he knows he gets a walk nearly every evening (apart from when I have guests).

Fluffy usually gets active at around 8pm till about midnight and also has a morning session at dawn.

[ video : How to catch a lost hamster ]

111 Responses

← Previous Page 10 of 12 Next →
  1. Sunshine
    Sunshine September 12, 2010 at 1:37 am |

Today was a hard day for me,because I had to get ride of all of my hamster stuff(the Beding,food,cage ect.) my hamster died if you didn’t read the one above this.

2. Sunshine
    Sunshine December 22, 2010 at 8:22 am |

This is to blogger number 88 you should totaly make like a trial of food to try to get your hamster to go into your room. As for your dogs it depense on what type they are if their nice old dogs I would not worry about a thing but if their big mean and scary rot- rulers I might want to have their stomaches looked at by a docter. Check for any cracks in the wall incase it is in there the wall. Sorry for the bad spelling if your a spelling master or something like that.

3. Eleanor
    Eleanor February 5, 2011 at 9:26 pm |

I have lost my black grey and white hamster i am 10 years old and i have losr her this morning my parent are going to get me a new one but i want my Trixie back she is one of a kind and never ran away before any help contact tadobbing@sky.com thank you buy x

4. PNj41796
    PNj41796 May 27, 2011 at 11:47 pm |

My hampster is the cutest hampster ever. He is a teddy bear hampster and is all white with pink extremities. He is very tame and even uses a litter box. I must have forgotten to close the cage door to his multi fortress resort when I cleaned the litter box and he is no where to be found. His cage is in my finished basement, but unfortunately the door to the unfinished portion was open so pretty much the whole basement is game for search. Due the clutter mess in the unfinished portion of the basement I’m so nervous that I’m not going to catch him. I currently have portions of his fortress in each portion of the basement with food and water. I’m hoping that he will just come back to eat and go up in one of his lofts. I want to find him so bad. Thinking that I may put flour down around his cage/food and see if that will help me find him. I’m just at least hoping to find some food missing tomorrow indicating that he is still with us. Why can’t he now just come when i call his name and we would be good. ugh.

5. Devon
    Devon July 18, 2011 at 7:25 pm |

I have 2cats 1dog 2 hamsters and one cage if I open the cage at night or day the other hamster will get loose

6. lily
    lily August 2, 2011 at 10:13 pm |

HELP! I JUST GOT MY SYRIAN HAMSTER 2 DAYS AGO SO ITS BRAND NEW. NOW, IT’S MISSING! PLEASE HELP ME. ANY SUGGESTIONS? AND SHOW UR CARE BY RESPONDING TO MY EMAIL: uslily2010@hotmail.com.

MANY MANY THANKS!

7. lily
    lily August 2, 2011 at 10:17 pm |

HEY, I DONT NOW WHERE MY HAMMY IS, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME: uslily2010@hotmail.com. thanks!

8. Cassie
    Cassie August 24, 2011 at 11:20 pm |

HELP!!!!! My hamster was in the bathroom with me, cause she like to run around in there and she’s not tame yet so i need a small space to watch her. Well when i wasn’t looking she crawled into a hole under my bathroom counter and now i can’t get her out unless she crawls out on her own, please help, how can i get her to come out? email me at tennisangel10@yahoo.com

9. Sharon
    Sharon January 2, 2012 at 2:07 pm |

My daughter hamster got out of her cage, early one morning. We had left for that morning so she got loose after we left. Hous after returning home we realize she was out of her cage. Everyone searched a room. She was in my husband and I closet scared. We were so thankful and lucky.

10. Ariella
    Ariella January 27, 2012 at 1:43 am |

I fly around the world alot for work, I returned yesterday, my partner said he saw 1 of our dwarf hamsters strolling around, he picked her up & put her back in her cage. This 1 has got out before and our other 1 stayed in, so we presumed the other one wasn’t much of an explora. We soon realised they both had got out, I’ve set up the bucket trap tonight, hope it works. The hamster we found is acting strange without her sister, any other tips incase this isn’t successful?

Comments are closed.