How to catch a lost hamster…

Today this blog entry received a comment, asking for help:

“omg help i lost my hamster and I don’t know what to do please help me it’s been 2 days” .

Hamsters are escapologists. They make break-outs a profession. They are such curious little lovehearts and regard themselves as explorers as well. Don’t worry about your hamster. It will be back. Just leave the cage on the floor with some food in and his homely sleeping house and he will return regularly at night to fill up his cheeks. My hamster likes to dig himself into and behind the sofa and the heating when he is out on leave.

It might be best to first find out in which room (s)he is and then leave the cage on the floor with some food and I guarantee the hamster will be back at night when its calm.

The only difficulty will be for you to wake up when (s)he is in the cage.

Alternatively you could put sunflower seeds on the floor in each room and then the next day find out in which room they are gone. Sometimes it also smells horrible when the hamster goes to the toilet and wees, which can determine in which room it is.

Key to finding him is to keep the doors shut in your house so the hamster can not change rooms. It might be best if the hamster is in the bedroom, then you’ll wake up when its back in its cage and you could just close the doors and put the upper part of the cage back. Othwerwise it will most likely just fill up the cheeks and return to freedom and build another hoard somewhere in the room.

Sometimes it might also help if you sit on the floor and watch television in the evening for some hours, but pretty quietly not quite in the dark, but also not in too bright conditions and if you have some nice smelling food around on the floor, such as freshly cut carrots, cucumber, corn/maize, and similar, the hamster might leave the hiding place and come out to get it. Don’t rush to catch him/her, just watch where he/she is hiding and taking the food- it will have its hoard there and be a regular visitor to this favorite place. If your hamster isn’t tame you might not be able to catch him by hand – it is astonishing how they can squeeze themselves away and they rather jump down into unknown depths than consider giving up. Best is to leave a little box lying around where he can go into and examine- or his sleeping house, and you might just be able to pick him up in the box.
My hamster is now pretty tame so he runs around every evening during the news and when I watch telly. He even comes when I call him and I can pick him up by hand. If you feed him from your hand, it will get tame quite quickly and then it is easier to catch it after it escapes, in total Fluffy doesn’t escape at all anymore because he knows he gets a walk nearly every evening (apart from when I have guests).

Fluffy usually gets active at around 8pm till about midnight and also has a morning session at dawn.

[ video : How to catch a lost hamster ]

111 Responses

← Previous Page 11 of 12 Next →
  1. lani
    lani February 26, 2012 at 9:30 pm |

help we lost my hamseter and we found one but ones still missing please help me im scard we have 4 dogs i have tryed every thing please help me

2. april
    april March 10, 2012 at 4:57 pm |

hi, my name is april yes april
    and prince my hamster gets out all the time and the soloition is if you know 100% (s)hes in your room stay up late and put apple slices or your hamsters faveoitue food on the floor since ive got my bed up high i stay looking at ther floor and see if (s)hes there it should help but if your hamsters doesnt come get a bunch of frineds and search your room again and again this should help 🙂 but if there not get a bucnh of your frineds again and stay in differnt rooms 🙂 and say found the hammie and let him get a bit of food then go for it but dont scare it

3. Athena
    Athena April 21, 2012 at 6:01 pm |

I have lost my hamster for about 6-7 hours it is in my drawer in my room it has a small hole but it is a small one it has done this to me 3 times and it came back this time is the first time he does not come back for so long!!! what can i do?

4. Phaedra
    Phaedra April 21, 2012 at 6:31 pm |

Well i have too hamsters one mine and one my sisters.My sister was giving food to mine and her hamster. When she was putting food to my hamster, my hamster escaped and crawled in to my sisters kloset and the klozet has a little hole and it can sqash inside.My sisters olso went in there she left the door open from the cage!!We putted food inside we waited and mine came out but then my sister said to put my hamster inside so hers can come out so i am waiting waiting and i am still waiting.It has past 3 ours from then when we have lost our hamsters.It has done that allredy 3 times but now it is the longest time our hamsters has done that!!!!!!!SO PLEASE HELP US !!!!!

5. Athena
    Athena April 21, 2012 at 6:49 pm |

I forgot to tell you that the hamster that is lost my little Genifier has 3 little babies and they are crying because they want milk!! What should i do i am so worried!!! 🙁

6. Athena
    Athena April 21, 2012 at 7:35 pm |

I am crying so much for my little baby i am also scared because her babies want milk they are crying too! 🙁

7. Athena
    Athena April 21, 2012 at 7:36 pm |

please if any suggestions send a e-mail at tlcathena@yahoo.com 🙁

8. Alysha Hoskins
    Alysha Hoskins May 19, 2012 at 7:38 pm |

I have a hamster named Peppa that I have up my nans&the other night she escaped when she broke her tubes apart. She’s been gone for about 2 days&I can’t seem to find her. I’ve shut all the doors&left food down in each room but it doesn’t seem to be working. She’s been taking the food&running away with it. What should I do to try&find her? Please get back to me as quick as you can on AlyshaEmilyHoskins@hotmail.co.uk. Thanks!

9. haley
    haley July 7, 2012 at 5:16 pm |

well my hamster is gone.my dad looked in the cage this morning and theadore (my hamster)it a she my sister named her.so we looked all the house for theadore

10. Jordin
    Jordin July 30, 2012 at 4:58 am |

My sister let my hamster go in the basement recently. There are so many bad things that could have been done. We have mice ,because we live in the woods, and there were several poison traps out at the time. Because of the fact that his ‘cage’ is a tank, there is no straight way I can lure him in without a mess. Any ideas? I really don’t want to stay up till 3:00 in the morning no matter how much I want to find him.
    Email me if you have advice- jordinpostell@yahoo.com

Comments are closed.